The Family YMCA of Marion and Polk Counties has been putting Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all since 1892.
Respect: Treat each other as we’d all like to be treated
Responsibility: Be accountable for your promises and action
Honesty: Be truthful in what you say and do
Caring: Show a sincere concern for others
Early Childhood Development - Creating a stable platform for thriving by reducing adverse childhood experiences and fostering academic achievement for all.
Youth Development Asset Building - Helping youth navigate academic and career pathways so all youth graduate high school with a plan for the future,
employment readiness and career connections.
Adult & Family Strengthening - Fostering adult, family and economic stability through family preservation and ensuring access to resources and supports.
Aging Together - Cultivating healthy and interconnected lifestyles as our members age by reducing social isolation and enhancing the quality of life at every age.
Community Centering - Investing in the vibrancy of our community by reducing the cost of health & human services and facilitating an integrated
approach to community-based services.
The YMCA is with our community for life. Our relationship with our members and their families ensures that we are aware of and stay responsive to their current and ever-changing needs for services and support. The following are examples of how the Y improves the lives of the individuals and families we serve:
- The YMCA removes the financial barrier to critical social service supports by providing more than $700,000 in scholarships to ensure access to programs and membership to those in need. 58% of our members receive financial aid of some kind. No one is turned away for an inability to pay.
- Offers free family memberships to all foster families in Marion and Polk Counties.
- Provides children from refugee families with free access to our educational summer day camps.
- Nurtures potential and improves academic engagement by offering afterschool programming at 22 schools.
- Provides over 1300 youth with full-day, summer youth development and life skills opportunities.
- Offers an Adaptive Swim Program for children who are confined to wheelchairs.
- Engages parent and child toward a healthier life in our 25-session Healthy Weight, Healthy Child program.
- Cares for chronic conditions through our Livestrong® for Cancer Survivors, Pedaling for Parkinson’s, Arthritis Programs and Fall Prevention programs.
- Continues the generations-long traditions of YMCA swim lessons, swim team and youth sports programs.
- Facilitates Youth in Government, a program designed to teach young people the value of civics and democracy.
- Access to free healthy meals through the Friday Meal Box Program for families
- Discounts for military families
The YMCA measures success from a person-centered approach. Through our continuum of social support services, progression is identified, individualized goals is key to our organizational success.